Friday, July 25, 2014

More.

I feel as if I should start by briefly stating that it's been a while since I've written or posted anything. Although that's obvious, sometimes people just feel like they need to state something and so they do.
This is one of those times.
Now onward to the heart of the matter: Encouragement from above.

Lately I've been in need of a lot of Jesus. (every day since forever) Today especially, I needed to see Him working. I needed encouragement. There are different reasons why, but the bottom line is that being human subjects us to feelings of inadequacy whenever our focus isn't 400% on Jesus. He is everything everything everything, and without Him I feel worthless. There's certainly a reason why one of the most famous hymns of all time rings "Till He appeared and the soul felt His worth." (side note, it is literally my favorite line ever) Alright..abandoning my rabbit trail.

Today I asked God to show Himself to me. I needed to see Him in action and I needed to get alone with Him; so I did what anyone else(no one) would do and I headed to McKay's. (okay, maybe I needed maps and words too) After I got my fill of meandering through countless aisles of abandoned books, sitting on the floor, head craned up towards the skyscrapers of countless bound words begging to be set free and turned over in one's mind, I reluctantly made my way to the part where they ask for the adoption money. I waited in line, with my unfortunately short stack of books (it was small enough to fit in one hand because college..and broke..and sad). I neared the front of the line and noticed a man scrounging for change to cover the last of his payment for the prized world atlas that weighed probably 80 lbs (I held it in my own hands just earlier and it was wonderful). I reached for my wallet to give whatever he lacked when I was interrupted by--"Next!" (one does not simply hold up a busy line at McKay's) I exchanged a greeting with my cashier, swiped plastic for my new found treasure, and heard the same man's cashier ask her coworker if she had 50 cents. To my delight, I was awaiting my receipt and still had my wallet out. "I've got it!" I handed two quarters to my cashier and asked her to pass it down. She smiled and commented that the act was very kind. At that point I was solely thankful that God allowed a second opportunity to help a fellow lover of knowledge. I had gotten everything that I asked for: to see God. He didn't have to allow that opportunity again, but He did and that meant the world to me(I believe giving is one of my love languages). My cashier was type type typing things on the register and said not to run off yet. I asked if there was a problem with my debit card being read (those pesky magnetic strips). She said that everything went through, but asked for me to wait. About 10 seconds later she handed me a store credit that totaled $1.00, smiled, and said "Sometimes kindness pays double."
I got my maps.

jwdioandfaubfubdjskjcs.........Jesus. Wow. I still can't get over Him today. I could go on and on about Him. If I started, I might not stop because I'd probably get all black preacher and hallelujah choir. That's always a sight.

Today I experienced God. He didn't have to show up for me, but He did. He didn't have anything to prove to me...but He did. He proved His faithfulness. Every day He proves this true. He is faithful. He is here. He is working.

I'm not sure the sweet cashier knew the depth of her actions. Tonight she served as the hands and feet of Jesus, and I was blessed to experience firsthand the truth that God is not short of resources and He is always exceedingly, abundantly more.

"Sometimes kindness pays double."

Spread the love.

1 comment: